Of the many reasons why people start blogging, making money from it is the most popular. Hundreds if not thousands of bloggers jump into blogging everyday with the thought that it is simply by creating blog posts that one can make money. It is more than that. Some bloggers can have many visitors to their blog sites, yet they still do not make money out of this. The challenge is converting your blog traffic into money, which only means making your blog readers or traffic to whatever it is you would like them to do on your blog so that you get money. This is called conversion optimization.
With a blog, you can make money through various strategies, including the following:
- Direct selling of ad space
- Selling affiliate products such as those of Amazon’s program, Commission Junction etcetera
- CPM Ad networks such as ContextWeb, AdClickMedia, Adbrite, BuzzLogic and others
- CPC Ad Networks including AdSense and Chitika
- Selling eBooks and other products on your blog
However, even with a well-planned and designed blog with all these strategies of making money, it can still be difficult to ensure that your readers take your call action if you do not carefully strategize on enhancing your Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO). But how best can you do it to ensure that you reap the maximum benefits from your site visitors? Here are the best tips and tricks revolving around SEO, blog design, use of social media and other marketing tricks.
How to Improve the CRO of Your Blog
SEO for CRO
SEO starts right with the tittles of your blog posts. Create precise post titles so that they relate directly to the content of your posts’ body. You do not want to create posts that turn away visitors as soon as they read your first sentence. This can increase your bounce rate and start the story of your site’s failure.
- Post titles must be meaningful. For instance, French Barbeque Recipe is a focused title compared to The Best French Delicacy I Have Ever Tasted My Whole Life. The former title is good for search engines and is likely to bring you more relevant visitors than the latter.
- If you resort to article marketing as an SEO strategy, ensure that the links pointing towards your site are well anchored, as this is important in narrowing down your site visitors to the most relevant ones. If possible, the anchor text should contain the objective that the visitor is likely to find on your site. Above all, the links you build should remain quality and genuine.
- Research has shown that people only commit to buying when they are informed and not sold to in a blatant way. What does this mean to you? Create your content in such a way that it is highly informative. Let your content do the selling. Content is king, and search engines know this, so they will rank your blog high for having informative content. The result is that you will enjoy more niche relevant organic traffic that is easier to convert into leads.
Blog Design for CRO
You can design your blog to anything you can imagine. It is all about being creative. However, before you think of the design to choose, evaluate the ways through which you intend to make money from that blog. For most bloggers, ads and affiliate marketing forms most reliable way of making money. Therefore, the design of the blog should be optimized for this.
- Design your ad banners to match the theme of your blog. This is called ad unit aesthetics and site placement. Click Through Rate (CTR) is one of the functions of conversion optimization. It is not the vibrant colors that get you clicks on your ads. To change click through rate, bear in mind that shape, colors, size and placement can have a huge impact on your CTR. Always select fonts and colors that will blend into your website, but maintain the element of peculiarity. Such ads are more creative and appear as part of your content thus enticing clicks. That is why they are called chameleon ads, and will enhance the website’s CTR.
- Study carefully on the right areas of your content to place CPC and CPM ads, because the positioning is also likely to have an impact on the way your site visitors respond to them. For instance, if you give the ads the first priority of space on your site, it means that the site’s objective is marketing and not informing the visitor.
Leveraging on Social Media to Enhance CRO
Social media is said to be an evolutionary solution to internet marketing, yet tapping its potential is not as simple as ABC. Making your blog or business present on social media networks is something everyone is doing, but is it all you need to churn all the fans into buyers? To tap into the potential that social media brings, every blogger needs to ensure that they strategize carefully on how to use social media to their advantage.
- If you are selling something on your blog and you are using social media networks such as Facebook to run ads, ensure that you make your ads as relevant as possible. For instance, running localized ads is a much more productive way of getting leads than running ads that will cover a wide audience that is not within your target. You might get traffic with the latter, but it will not be that of potential leads.
- With social media campaigns, you can get the right audience if you refine your search to a specific niche. LinkedIn is one of the social networks that can allow you to do that. Its subject relevant groups that can make it easy to target people interested in your niche.
- Use social media as a listening tool and for studying your audience. This will help you learn the preferences of your audience before you device a strategy of marketing to them. This will help you come up with offers, competitions and other promotional tactics that are likely to spark desired activity on your blog. If you are creative enough, it will be very easy to sell on your blog with this strategy.
After following all the relevant steps of improving your blog’s CRO, you will realize that the missing part is that of your own sales pages, especially if there is something you are selling on it. If so, make your landing pages highly convincing and sticky. In addition to that, the main strategy of CRO should be targeting relevant audiences or traffic in everything that you do. This should include all your CPM and CPC ads.