How To Get YouTube Annotations Back After Connecting Your Google Plus Page And YouTube Channel
Have you connected your Branded YouTube Channel to a Google Plus Page and now the Associated Website will not allow you to use an annotation to link out? Are you getting a message that says “Please enter a valid URL“? This is a little glitch that you will need to correct in order to get your annotation access back. The following is a step by step how-to guide to correct the problem.
Associated Website Issue Once You Connect YouTube To Your G+ Page
Go in to your branded YouTube Channel and even if there is a green “button” saying Success next to your Associated Website, you will need to click the Remove button. Now, you should have no URL showing (To find Associated Website, go to Channel Settings, then Advanced).
Setting Up Your Associated Website
How to setup an associated website once you have connected your branded YouTube Channel to your Google Plus Page.
Here is how you can get the website to associate with the YouTube Channel again. The instructions below are ONLY if you are seeing the above message and have connected the G+ Page and YouTube Channel.
You will first need to set up a Username and Password for the YouTube Channel that is connected to a G+ Page.
Step 1 – Setting up Username and Password
To set up your Username and Password:
- Go to the Google Plus Page that your YouTube Channel is connected to. Make sure you are using it as the Page.
- Go to the Upper right (next to the Avavtar) and click the little down arrow.
- Click Page Settings.
- Now scroll about 1/3 down and you will see âThird Party Toolsâ. Here is the Pages Username and you can click to setup a Password. <- Save this new email and password in a safe place. You may also need it for 3rd party apps.
- Log into Webmaster tools as YOU the OWNER of the website you want to connect to. Take the looooong email address you have from setting up a Username and Password and add it as an OWNER. This should be enough to associate the website to your YouTube Channel.
I was told it was better to double verify but it should work without doing this 2nd step, so it is up to you.
Step 2 – Verification
- Now log out of all accounts as YOU.
- Log into webmaster tools with the long email address and its password.
- Go to MANAGE. In the Dropdown click to Change or Verify User.
- Now you will Click to Verify User by Choosing a method.
- Take the code (I used HTML Tag) and place it in the <header> of the website you want to associate with your YouTube Channel that is now connected to its G+ Page. There are 4 Verification Methods so, choose the one you want.
- Then choose VERIFY on the Webmaster Tools page.
Now go back to the YouTube channel you were trying to connect and put in your site URL in as the Associated Website. It should give a green button and be working as verified. Now, you should be able to link out with annotations to the Associated Website.
If you do NOT have your G+ Page and YouTube Channel Connected, and you are a YouTube Partner, to associate a Website go to https://www.youtube.com/advanced_settings and follow the instructions to Verify.