Branding is an important part of blogging and video is no exception. Google Plus Hangouts allow you to get pretty creative by using custom overlays. Add a bit of personality to your branding when you are using Google Plus Hangouts or Hangouts on Air.
Lower Third App
Table of Contents
While most of us love the Lower Third app (Now in the Toolbox app) that is free and available to everyone in a Hangout (except as a page), have you ever tried using the Overlay option that is also available?
Why Use Overlays
If you have watched our Hangouts on Air the last 2 weeks, you will see that I have the Overlay on my picture. It gives me not only the option of displaying my name and logo at the bottom for branding, I can also put any image or picture I want on the top, bottom, and sides.
Creating Hangout Overlays
These overlays are easy to make if you are a bit familiar with Photoshop or Paint.net. Brian uses Gimp and recorded a how-to video on creating Hangout Overlays (embedded below). As you will hear in the video below, I had Brad make my first template, he is much better at using the graphics tools than I am. Now, I have a variety to choose from. Creating Custom Overlays For Google Plus Hangouts
Using Custom Overlays
Do I just want to show my name, so I am not being spammy while in someone else’s hangout? Maybe I want to use the Stuffed Animal overlay when in a Hangout on the topic of parenting, or the Hot Blog Tips while talking about blogging, the possibilities are endless. Use an overlay to target the topic of the Hangout. I could even display an overlay for sites that I manage (recommend), but do not own. So, if you do Google Plus Hangouts or Hangouts on Air you will want to give the custom overlays a go. Watch the video below to hear about:
- What is a Google Hangouts Overlay?
- How can I add an overlay?
- How do I make an overlay to use in hangouts?
- Can everyone use the overlays in a Hangout?
- Why should I use an overlay in a Hangout?
- Should I always use an overlay when I am in a hangout or are there times I shouldn’t?
Watch Using Overlays for Google Plus Hangouts Now, you tell us, how do you brand yourself while in Hangouts? Do you let others in your Hangouts or Hangouts on Air use customer overlays or even the Lower Third App?
Google Hangouts & Hangouts on Air (HoA) Related Posts
- The Difference Between Hangouts And Hangouts On Air (HoA)
- You CAN Do Hangouts On Air (HOA) – Six Excuses Resolved
- How To Watch And Invite Others To A Google Hangout On Air (HOA)
- How To G+ Hangouts On Air (HOA)
- Watching YouTube Videos In Hangouts Has Improved
- Learn How To Start a Google Hangout On Air (HOA) In Less Than Three Minutes [Video]